Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

'Cause Love Came Down . . .

I've been absent for a while; busy mulling over some things: processing how a post done with a sincere heart to show gratitude to God for the blessings in my life ended with someone's feelings being hurt because they were inadvertently forgotten. I am sincerely sorry about that, yet I continue in the work of Bible study, laundry, cooking, cleaning, washing toilets, teaching, and praying because what else is there to do? The imperfect being that I am,  I rarely gets things just right, and I'm awed that my heavenly Father loves me, knowing me as well as he does. So, I took a break, and thought about not writing again, but I know that the writing is so much bigger than my own emotional roller coaster.

I share on this blog not to bring satisfaction or attention to myself, but to point others to the ONE. The babe who was born so many years ago, wrapped in swaddling clothes and placed in a manger. The ONE, who left heaven to come to earth, knowing that he would be mocked, ridiculed, whipped, betrayed, and eventually crucified. Why would he still come?

It's easy to lose focus during this advent season. There are sleigh bells and mistletoe, candy canes and popcorn balls, shopping and shopping, and more shopping, gifts to wrap and then unwrap. These all beg for our attention, and can take us so far of course. I've heard all the arguments for not celebrating Christmas, and I respect everyone's right to choose their own way, but as for me and my house we will celebrate and sing unto the Lord a new song; not just at Christmas, but all year long. For us, christmas is special: this is the season that we set apart to celebrate the birth of our King.

John 1:1-5 says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by Him and without Him was not anything made that was made. In him was life and the life was the Light of men. And the light shineth in the darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not."

We know he has always existed, but it's the coming that was so vital to us. He knew that I was a sinful, dirty wretch. I was the Samaritan woman, the man lame from birth, and the blind man all rolled into one. I lived an amoral life. I did not walk with God. I walked in darkness. I was spiritually dead. I could never be good enough on my own. I needed a Savior, a blood sacrifice; and so he came. I can't help but celebrate. I am FREE from sin and the punishment of sin. At times, I've felt like Nicodemus, "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born, can he?"

Now I know I am a new creation: once born of flesh, of the will of my earthly father; now born of the Spirit, of the will of my Heavenly Father. If you have not experienced this truth, His truth, the Truth, may I encourage you to put your trust in Jesus. Confess that you are a sinner, a wretched dirty unclean sinner, admit that you are incapable of being good and confess the bad things you've done, turn away from it all, and believe in your Heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, and you will be saved. After you do that, call someone, email me, find a body of believers who can help you on your walk. This is the message to remember at Christmas, that all roads lead to the Cross. That's it. He came to die. All the food, candy, and gifts are nice, but Jesus is the most important gift. Won't you accept him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment