Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

The GOD We Serve Is Able

Our eldest is sixteen and has been talking about working for NASA for years. He recently joined the Civil Air Patrol, and has since decided on going to the Air Force or Air Force Academy. I was so excited about his decision and proud of him. When other family members would discourage him, mu husband and I would stand up for this man-child who saw value in being a part of our military.

Last night all those feelings disappeared and I was left with a feeling of hopelessness, the possibility of loss, and the fear of handing my firstborn over to the United States government. My fear, of course, stemmed from my belief that they could not possibly care for and protect him like I had for the last sixteen years. I told my husband that I though I didn't believe in luck; I was struggling because my brother went to Iraq and came home, my cousin, who is career army, went to Iraq and came home, and I felt that I was asking too much of God to protect this child of mine as well. After all, he had already done enough; much more than I could have ever asked.

These feelings were so alien to me, because I am the one of much faith. And as those thoughts continued to flow through my head, I realized that my God is certainly big enough. He has been this child's guide and protector all these years, not me. I had no control when he was in my womb, and even less since he's been outside. Perhaps I'm wary because I've read so much about the loss of moms, dads, brothers, and sisters from our armed forces. I realized that the question that my heart was asking was "Will God save my son?" And the answer is HE ALREADY HAS! The moment Dominic accepted Christ, his future was sealed. He will spend eternity with God. You know the same one from GENESIS to REVELATION. I have  to trust HIM. He alone, foreknew this child, even before he was conceived. He has charted his life's course, and I was simply the vessel used  to bring him into the world.

If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us it, and He will deliver us from your majesty's hand. But even if He does not, we want you to know, your Majesty that we will not serve your gods [fear, pride, anger, anxiety, hatred] or worship the image of gold you have set up.  ~Daniel 3:17-18


2 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Praise be to God who holds us all in the palm of His mighty hand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often have to remind myself of this for my children too.

    But he understands this natural instinct to want to protect by love.

    You have a very brave young man.

    ReplyDelete