Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dreaming

For some reason, my dreams have been filled with visions of home. Every night there's been a hint of some adventure in Jamaica. I can't stop thinking about how beautiful and vibrant everything is. There's a richness that comes from being that close to the equator that we could never have in Maryland.

Photo courtesy: Animals of Planet Earth

But there's another side to Jamaica as well, that's not so beautiful and vibrant. That's the side that has the people on the island crying out for justice, except the people who are suppose to bring justice are the  ones responsible for the mayhem. Numerous citizens have been killed this year by the "arm of justice."

Even on a seemingly perfect paradise island there's still a need for Jesus. I mean, God created the perfect paradise in Eden, but Adam and Eve still fell prey to evil that found its way there. The only way for this evil to be eradicated is through washing by the blood of Jesus. I've talked to people who are "good" people; they're honest, caring, loving, and kind. As good as that may sound, they are still not good enough; none of us are. That's why we needed Jesus to come and die; because we could never be holy on our own.

I think of myself, and the mess I was before I really surrendered to Jesus, and I often think of the stuff he's still working out in me; and all I can feel is gratefulness that I've been redeemed and saved from the punishment that I so richly deserved. But for his grace and his mercy that stood in my place and yours, bearing the brunt of every sinful act mankind had ever and would ever commit.

This kind of love is foreign to us, because we live in such a selfish world. Who could imagine that the King would give up everything and become nothing for us?

"When we were utterly hopeless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." ~Romans 5: 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment