Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

When It Hurts So Bad

This week God used something hurtful done by a good friend to remind me of how I'd hurt someone else. Ouch. So, I had been thinking about why someone did not want to be friends with me anymore, and had managed to excuse my behavior totally from the equation. The hurt I inflicted on this friend was so unintentional, that I couldn't understand how she could use that as a reason to end our friendship. Well she did, and I respected that in my own self-righteous way. 

So, this week when a good friend thought she was trying to help me grow spiritually, I was at first offended and incredibly hurt. After I knocked that around in my head for a while, I thought, "Oh, this must be what Person X felt like when I thought I was being helpful." Talk about a light-bulb moment. I was stunned; I mean I hadn't even asked God, "Why?" Apparently he had heard my pondering and answered.

"Are you there God? It's me Simone. Your adopted daughter who is a major screw-up sometimes." Can I keep it real? I screw up. That's why I need Jesus. I realized pretty quickly that I could spend my time being mad at my friend for hurting me, or I could be grateful that God used her to grow me in ways that are as new as his mercies every morning. Did it hurt? Yes, very much so, but it gave me the courage to set a date to talk to the person I had hurt in the  past.

Friendships among women are sometimes as difficult as they are rewarding, but these times of hurt and misunderstandings can also be wonderful opportunities for spiritual and emotional growth- evidence of His Spirit living within us.

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.  ~ Romans 8 :28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment